A Field Trip



Mike has been at home for 3 weeks now. The first two weeks proved to be an interesting lesson in communication for us in our expectations for the day, preparation for the day, hopes for the future, and so on. Week three has been much more enjoyable, less stressful and we’re finding our groove for everyday life as it happens to be right now.
He spends much of the day networking, applying for jobs and looking for jobs mixed in with helping me tote Otto around, clean up the breakfast dishes, throw in a load of laundry and help Canaan with homework. He has always been great at these things…its just that I get the help all day long now! Unfortunately I haven’t kept up on anything from my end. Having him home has totally thrown off my schedule each day. The lack of blogging is evidence of this. Also the lack of sewing, article writing and menu planning is piling up. I need to get that sorted out for future weeks.
Yesterday we decided to break out of our homebound routine and take a little road trip 20 minutes north of us to the town of Georgetown. We have been so focused on saving money by not driving around a lot, not eating out and not shopping that we have become the ultimate homebodies.



Our little afternoon excursion to Georgetown was just what we needed to get some fresh perspective again, enjoy the first snowflakes of our winter storm that came in last night and eat a cheap diner meal at the 100 year old Fava’s Restaurant. **Let me use this time to say that I am still on my no flour kick until Mike finds a job. It took every ounce of willpower I possess to not order or even take a bite of the ridiculously thick, greasy diner burgers. It was hard. And for those of you who may be like me (health conscious, into health foods, etc..) I have read all about how much healthier one will feel when eliminating flour from the diet. This is not so. it’s a lie. I feel no different, my skin is no more glowing than before, I have no more energy. I just want bread.
But back to Georgetown, it’s a great little place with shops, antiques, bakeries and knick knacks. We only had a few short hours before it was time to get Canaan at school…but they were a refreshing few hours, indeed.


And in the end the trip was free. Well…it will be free. We have made it customary on road trips to try to fund the trip by finding something we can sell on Ebay to cover the costs. This trip was no different. Definitely found a couple of treasures that will bring in some profit and let us enjoy little outings without the guilt of spending money during this time.